Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Crib Transition for Alyssa

Alyssa has slept in my bed since she was born.  Every nap has been taken in my arms or in the car.  There have been a couple of rare occasions where she has fallen asleep on other people, but like I said, rare!  It was the same way with Addison and I don't have a single regret.  They are only babies for short period of time.

B & I decided it was time for the BIG move since Alyssa is almost 18 months old.  We are doing the transition much later than we did with Addison.  I think mostly because Alyssa is still nursing.  Addison was weaned at 12 months and moved to her crib at 14 months.  I wish that I would have documented her transition better to compare with what I'm doing now.

1/3/12 - Ferber failed me today.  I tried to get her to nap for 30 minutes and it never happened.  I'm not giving up though.
1/4/12 - 12:30 I nursed her for 5 minutes and then put her in the crib for nap.  The first 10 minutes she resisted, but I stuck to it and eventually she settled down.  I told her it was time for a nap and to lay down and I would put cover on her.  She laid down and instead of leaving her again, I patted her and she fell asleep pretty fast.  I know that staying in the room isn't part of the Ferber Method, but I modified it with Addison and am doing it again with Alyssa.  You have to find what works best for you and your baby.
She slept for 1 1/2 hours and I was so proud of us both!
1/5/12 - 12:05 in the crib.  12:12 first check.  12:19 second check.  12:30 third check and I nursed her for a few minutes.  This is much harder than the last two days!  It's supposed to get better....  12:49 got her out.  I'll try again in an hour or so.  If she sleeps today it will be in her crib or not at all.  3:13 just finished a snack and a short nursing session.  She's so sleepy and can barely hold her eyes open.  I put her in the crib, so let the countdown begin, again!  Went in for first check at 3:18 and she had a dirty diaper, so I changed her and rocked her for a few minutes.  Back in the crib at 3:28.  Another check at 3:38 & I just don't think she's going to nap today.  I'll do one more check and then get her out.  Well, she never took a nap.
1/6/2012 - I had to work in the nursery at MDO today, so I knew Alyssa would be getting a late nap.  There's no way I was about to let her cry in the crib and disturb the other babies.  When we got home I nursed her for a few minutes then put her in the crib at 2:45.  2:50 first check.  3:00 second check.  3:10 third check and I nursed her for 5 minutes.  3:30 check (I'm no longer counting the checks at this point).  3:38 another check and nursed her for 2 minutes.  She went right to sleep when I put her in the crib!  What a relief!  I was about to give up on a nap for today too!  She slept for an hour.
1/7/2012 - 12:00 nursed and rocked for 5 minutes then put her in the crib.  She cried, but not like the last few days.  12:11 first check - she had a dirty diaper.  I think she is saving her poops for the crib to try and postpone the inevitable.  Changed her diaper and rocked her for a few minutes.  Put her in the crib at 12:26 with a little whimper and she went right to sleep!  She slept for 45 minutes.
1/8/12 - 11:35 rocked and nursed Alyssa then put her in the crib (drowsy, but awake).  11:45 first check and of course, she had a dirty diaper.  I see a pattern here!  11:53 rocked her for a few minutes then put her in the crib.  12:00 asleep!  She slept for 1 1/2 hours!
1/9/12 - 12:30 rocked and nursed Alyssa then put her in the crib (drowsy, but awake).  12:40 she wasn't crying at all, but I still went in to check on her because she was standing up and not about to lay down on her own.  I rocked her for about 3 minutes and she almost fell asleep in my arms, but I quickly moved her to the crib and she drifted right off to sleep.  It's a dark, gloomy, rainy day today.  I wonder if she will sleep longer today since this is great sleeping weather!  We shall see...  She slept for 1 hour and 40 minutes!
1/10/12 - 12:12 in the crib.  12:21 first check = dirty diaper!  12:30 back in the crib.  12:40 second check.  12:54 third check and all it took was a little pat on the tummy and she was asleep.
It's been a week, so I think I'll stop documenting our journey with the transition to the crib for naps.  Stay tuned for our next journey - the bedtime transition!  I'll probably start that in a week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment